Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Young Adult in India

I am a young adult in this country. What do I do?

I have my life. I have my to-do lists. My engineering coursework. But I also read newspapers, check Facebook and try to be aware of humanity beyond my personal motives.

There is something going on in my country. People are protesting. Against what, is debatable. But I do know a few things.

I know when I have to stand in lines so that other people who pay a 'premium'don't have to; I know when big corporates buy government licenses at 'subsidized' prices; I know when careers get destroyed when someone is unable to pay backdoor 'donations'; I know when roads outside my house don't get repaired in 10 years but patches of it being polished when a MP's nephew is married; I know when farmers and researchers suicide due to funding 'issues'; I know when land -that is bought by a serviceman's life savings- is snatched by a property dealer demanding high 'security' to pay to authorities; I know when only 'some' funds reach schools and the education of bright stars of the country is suffered; I know when a sports event that is supposed to be my country's pride gets so 'messy' that reports can fill you with disgust; I know when my family asks me not carry enough money for a challan when I drive, but enough to 'get out' of the situation.

I am a young adult and I love my country. What do I do?

They say I should join a protest that is claiming to get some things in order. They say that things have gone so bad that some strict policy-level decisions are the only way out. They say that I should support one man who had the balls to give his 100% to a cause that is claimed against corruption. They say that I should support the protest which is trying handle this menace by empowering a new body specifically for this purpose. They say the body will be as transparent as possible and will question anyone who needs to be.

But then others say that this protest is unconstitutional. That adding another layer of bureaucracy is not an answer. That this constitutional body upon which we are trusting can also stab our backs. Is there any trust or faith left in this country? How did we get here?

I am a young adult in this country. What do I do?

They say I have been given a power to vote. They say that instead of questioning the people I put in power, I should question why did I put them in power. I ask, who should I vote?

On one side there is a dynasty full of scams whose 'charismatic' ancestors have put this country in an emergency before. They have a future descendant ready who is himself confused and cannot hide his shame behind the political misdoings of his party. On the other side there is a leaderless group of non-secular, conservative old men(and some loud women) who themselves have plenty of scams in store, some of which get sprouted from time to time. My country feels screwed to not have a good alternative.

I am a young adult in this country. What do I do?

They say maybe I should wait. A third alternative will arise. Someone who will be responsible. Who knows that the answer is in the fundamentals along with some rigid policies on the top. Someones who understands that this country has become a nation of cheaters. Someone who knows that tax evasion and corruption have become a way of life and this needs to be changed.

But how long will I wait? I am certain that it's not some Baba who's trying to close the economy and thinks that homosexuality is a disease. When will this third option arise? People are continuing to get busy with their personal lives and treating their country for granted. Courage continues to die for personal 'growth'.

Meanwhile, careers continue to get destroyed, education continues to get hampered, farmers continue to suicide, illegal buildings continue to get constructed, science continues to get roadblocked, rules continue to get broken.

I am not impatient. But it is enough now.

I am a young adult in this country. What do I do?

I have no idea and I am scared.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Perfectly sums up how I too feel many a times. Brilliantly worded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3:15am...!!! its only in the early morning hours that the creativity of IIITD kids awakens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kshitiz Thanks :)
    @Shashwat Yeah. Anything productive happens after 2 am :P

    ReplyDelete